Tuesday, February 16, 2010

12 and 30, what a good thing!


A few weeks ago Malia turned 12. 12 years old! I officially have a PRE- teen. Then a few days later I turned 30. All this has made me really look back and reflect on my life in the past decade. I was so young when I had Malia. ALMOST 18 years old. I remember how tiny she was and how hard and fast my heart was beating when the nurses gave her to me, and that first diaper I had to change. I remember at first sight, I wanted to be the best mom to her that I could.




I say that to say this.




I am really excited to be 30. I am so much more confident in who I am than I was when I was 20. I am a different mom to Khalil than I was with Malia. Not in a bad way. Just more mature. More seasoned. I used to feel embarrased or ashamed that I had my daughter at such a young age, but I am so happy that I did. I love watching her grow up and start to want to be "cool" and "trendy". It cracks me up to not know the latest dances and sayings. The other night she taught me some dance moves for the "Cupid shuffle", and "All the single ladies". We had a blast!


I love that I have to ask her opinion on my outfits in the mornings and tell me if it looks ok or not. Or that she views me and her daddy as "old". Or she'll say "back in the day" for when we were kids. I am so excited for this next chapter in the Smith Book. But having a pre-teen at 30 years old just really feels so amazing!
Does that sound wierd? It probably does, but it is such a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment